Thursday, February 4, 2010

Divisions

1 Corinthians 1.10-13
I appeal to you brothers, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be united in the same mind and in the same judgment. For it has been reported to me by Chloe's people that there is quarreling among you, my brothers. What I mean is that each one of you says, "I follow Paul," or "I follow Apollos," or "I follow Cephas," or "I follow Christ." Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?

Brothers and Sisters,
We of the Christian faith have for entirely too long put up walls of hostility and hatred for one another based upon names, systematic theologies, practices, and most of all pride. Let us not create these walls, these false dichotomies. Please do not misunderstand what I am saying, there will be disagreements among us. There are 2000 years of time, culture, language separating us from the orignal texts of the New Testament. While there will be disagreements among us, let never create divisions amongst ourselves over things that are not as important as unity.

No comments: