Tuesday, November 11, 2008

CD Review #2: Shiny Toy Guns - "Season of Poison"


It has been a while since I have done one of these. If you recall my first review was of The Sounds of Animals Fighting, now on to Shiny Toy Guns (STG). If you don't know these guys they are a synthy, popy, rocky, type music that reminds me of The Bravery with a darker tinge. Also they have a female lead singer which is nice to see. I enjoy a good girl singer. The male vocals are great as well, and the singer sounds like someone to me, but I cannot put my finger on it. I have gone through my entire iTunes library, looked it up on Wikipedia, Googled it, but cannot figure out who he sounds like. If you figure it out lemme know cause its driving me up the wall. The greatest thing about this CD is that it flows seamlessly. Another great example of a good flowing album is Showbread's "No Sir, Nihilism Is Not Practical". That is something that makes happy is when songs transition smoothly rather than just being the end of a song, and the beginning of another (Sometimes that is the best transition, but it certainly is not the best EVERY time.)
I bought this CD a few days ago hoping for what exactly I got (mostly). STG have put out a quality record. Not every song on there is a keeper but they have some genuinely good songs that are really catchy. The album kicks of with the upbeat "When Did This Storm Begin" this is a great song save for the fact that the female singer attempts to rap/yell and it doesn't turn out so awesome. (Also the f-bomb gets dropped once, but it is the only curse word I have heard on the album). They then go into "Money For That" which is an awesome song that has been stuck in my head since I bought the album. The next song is "I Owe You A Love Song" which is a great little love diddy. After that is the dreadful "Ghost Town". It is a great sing along song, but it has little musical value to me. I see this song being extremely popular with high school/junior high girls. After this song is my favorite song "It Became A Lie On You" it a great slow song. It has dark piano, guitar, and synth lines. It has great dynamics and I am excited every time this song comes up on my iTunes or on my radio in the car. The next song is the single off the album "Ricochet!". It somewhat reminds me of The Faint or a not-quite-so dreary NIN song. Super digital, and sure to be a hit. The rest of the album is great, but I don't want to ruin it all for you. If your interest has been piqued by this quasai-review go give it a listen.
I give it four Half Used Q-tips out of five.

No comments: