Thursday, July 24, 2008

What's In My Recently Played File?

I have been listening to a lot of music lately. A lot. So here's what is in my recently played file.

1. Training for Utopia - Throwing a Wrench in the American Music Machine, and Falling Cycle EP


These guys are two of my favorites from when I was growing up. When I was in middle school my youth pastor showed me some Christian Hardcore. These guys being one of the first, they are naturally one of my favorite bands. They were ridiculously ahead of their time with all three of their albums. Throwing a Wrench.... and Falling Cycle are two very different albums, but both are amazing in their own way. Falling Cycle was their first release with Solid State Records, and was a very raw just heavy album. And I LOVE it. Throwing a Wrench.... is still raw and heavy, but they have mixed in an industrial edge that was not there for the first two albums. Fun fact about these guys: They got tired of not making any money with good music, so they asked themselves, "What would sell in a Christian market?" The answer: Cheeziness. Thus, Demon Hunter was born. Lord, I miss these guys.

2. Origin - Antithesis

What do you get when you have a bunch of classically trained musicians who want to play metal, and destroy the universe? Origin is what you get. So ridiculously fast. Next time you are in the mood for some death metal/grind check these guys out. So fast.

3. Dustin Kensrue - Please Come Home

If any of you are music buffs, you will know that Dustin Kensrue is the lead singer for Thrice. A while back he decided to come out with a folk side project. What came out was one of the best albums I have heard in a long time. He just knows how to hit the core of me with his lyrics, plus I dig the Johnny Cash style music.

4. Circa Survive - Juturna

Love these guys. I really like their other album, "On Letting Go", better, but this was the only one I had in my car while driving to AZ. So I listening to it. It's a great album. I really dig their originality in every part of their music, plus I really like Anthony Green's unique vocals.

5. As Cities Burn - Son, I Loved You at Your Darkest

These guys are an amazing band. They just have so much passion. You can really feel it in the way he writes his lyrics, but then it transfers over to the music as well. But there really is no way around it, if the lyrics weren't as good as they are, this album would still be good, but nowhere near as good.

That will complete it for this installment of "What's In My Recently Played File?" Hope you guys will check a few of these bands out, if you haven't already.
-Chris

1 comment:

JoJo said...

I was just listening to As Cities Burn today in my car and thinking to myself, "that's still a really good album."

I'd like to hear dustin's cd. I really liked what thrice did with the alchemy index.